Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pre Op examination

Yesterday I went for my preop examination. I am having hip replacement surgery on March 17. It was quite a surprise to discover my hip had degeneration. I had been suffering with a lot of back pain for about 2 years. The doctor had given me a injection of Kenalog for sciatica pain. It had helped but after two repeat injections, I found I was beyond the comfort stage. The doctor then did an MIR of my back and found that I had hip degeneration from arthritis. I had knee arthroscopic surgery on both knees in the late 1990 and knew it was time to have knee replacement surgery. Now I found out that my hip also needed replacement. It was suggested that I replace my hip first as it my help my knees, so that is what I am about to do.

Although I have received some good pain medication, I still find I have trouble sleeping due to pain. I am hopeful that the surgery will eliminate the hip pain and I will then be able to sleep better.

A positive thing at the museum right now is that we are working on a traveling exhibit for the Minnesota’s Historic Northwest consortium. This year is Minnesota’s sesquicentennial. Our organization applied for a grant for a traveling exhibit of 150 photos of Northwest Minnesota. We have been working on the photos and the panels at this time. The Beltrami County Historical Society in Bemidji displays first. Most photos are black and white reproductions but some are color. It will be nice to have this exhibit up and see what it looks like. Tomorrow several contributors will be coming to our museum to work on fabrication. It is going to be exciting to see it displayed.

The house smells so good right now (11:00 am). Chicken soup with dumplings are stewing on the stove. I hope to have a cup before I go to work. I stayed home this morning because I am not sleeping well and needed to rest a little more. Michelle thinks I should take vacation the week before my surgery. It would put me way behind at work and besides, I would not rest if I was home anyway.

Thought for the day from Chuck Swindoll

Attitude

“The longer I live; the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company… a church… a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the fact that people will act a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude…I am convinced that life in 1% what happens to me 90% how I react to it. and so it is with you…we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
Charles Swindoll

10 pm

Well it past my bedtime but one last word on the day:

Well, Roseau headed to St. Paul again yesterday for their birth at the State hockey tournament. Ironically so did Warroad, although in the lower class A group. Warroad won their second game this pm so they play in the finals tomorrow at 12. Roseau played their first game tonight, beating Blaine 7 or 8 – 2, in a no competition game. I think the big game will be on Saturday when they meet either Edina or some Catholic School called St Margaret’s School. It is hard to believe but if Roseau were to win this tournament they would have won when Minnesota celebrated their Centennial in 1958 and this year when MN celebrates their Sesquicentennial. I would say that is class! Both Roseau and Warroad have hockey that is hard to beat.

No comments: