Friday, January 22, 2010

Rain in January?

We have been having this wonderful March weather in January, today it was 36 above. Now we are paying for it, it is raining and starting to freeze. It is predicted that we could have up to six inches of snow over the next two days. That on top of the ice, will make for some very treacherous driving.

Then I have a Snow Bird friend who is in Arizona and told me it was raining there and the desert had pools of standing water. How I wish I was there in about two weeks to see the beauty of the flowers. I hope she takes lots of photos and posts them on her blog.

I just finished reading Roxanne Henke's book After Anne. The book caused me to refleck on what type of a friend I am. Roxanne Henke is a North Dakota author from a small town like Roseau. She proves that one can live in a very rural area and find wonderful things to write. I picked up a second book, Becoming Olivia, by her at the library on Wednesday. I have no doubt that I will enjoy that one also, when I get around to it.

Took the time to watch A Garden of Herbs today. This DVD was recommended by a friend some time ago and I finally received this week from NetFlix. It was excellent, now I have to order the sequel.

I've had the flu this week. Hubby had it first, and then Wednesday night I was miserable. I don't think I was out of bed except for bathroom breaks for about 36 hours. My iPod was my best friend. I couldn't even concentrate on reading.

I love the various book podcasts and download CBC's The Next Chaper with Shelagh Rogers, Writers and Company with Eleanor Wachtel, Canada Reads, and Between the Covers, a 15 minute chapter a day podcast. My favorite story I listened to on Between the Covers was on about 4 months ago. It was from the book Roll Over; a story about how one's body could be rolled back to a 25 year-old through a scientific method. The repercussions were very interesting to say the least. Fiction can go in any direction and often we come up with a different opinion than what we thought we would have. NPR Books is also very good to listen to. One does not have to have an iPod to listen to a podcast, they can be listened to on iTunes anytime, you just have to subscribe to them.

It will be interesting to see what the morning brings, more rain or snow.

No comments: