Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Muffins

Sometimes I get into a baking mood. Last Friday was the beginning, starting out with chocolate chip cookies. Saturday I wanted to make some blueberry muffins to go with out usual Saturday morning omelet. I usually don't make muffins from scratch, I think the package mixes are hard to beat, Saturday was no different but it was different in that I had no muffin package mixes. I pulled out a cookbook and found a recipe using cake mix and started in. With a little doctoring up, they were delicious and made a dozen large muffins. So here goes:

Blueberry Muffins
Preheat over to 350
Bake about 20 minutes, watch closely

1 French Vanilla cake mix
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil (I used grape seed oil)
1/3 cup cultured sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cups blueberries

Mix dry ingredients together, stirring to remove lumps and blend. Mix the liquids all together and pour into the cake mixture and stir until all it moistened and a little lumpy. Fold in nuts and blueberry. Spray two six cup muffin tins and put about 1/2 cup in each cup.
Bake about 20 minutes, checking often after 15 minutes. This was the first time I have made this recipe and can't remember exactly how long I baked them.
They were delicious! I think this recipe could be varied for any type of cake mix, a yellow or lemon cake mix would be good, and a variety of ingredients such as, dates, cranberries, raisins, carrots, and nuts could be added.

No comments: