Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekend retreat

Whereas work last week had been challenging, the weekend was reviving.

Working four days a week has its rewards, I took Friday off, started to reading the book Becoming Olivia in earnest, went swimming at AmericInn in the afternoon, and attended Bridget's 14U hockey game.

Saturday I decided to finally take those two very dead bananas that had been haunting me on the corner and look for a banana bread recipe. I found the best one in the Roseau County Historical Society 75 Anniversary cookbook. The recipe by Audrey Bergan really is so delicious. I added some additional fruit to the recipe and voila, the best bread I had ever made came out of the oven! Thanks Audrey! I will look for a few more of your recipes.


The recipe:
Banana Bread by Audrey Bergan (and me)

1/2 cup butter or margarine (I use butter)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup cultured sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts, I used walnuts
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup cranraisins
1/2 cup dates, chopped

We do things a little differently here:
Preheat oven to 350 and spray 2 medium bread pans with Pam.
Place the raisins and cranraisins together in a 1 cup water and microwave about 1 minute and drain. Do the same to the date only nuke for 30 seconds.

Cream butter and sugar, eggs, banana and vanilla. Add cultured cream, then flour, salt and soda. Mix in the raisins, cranraisins, dates and nuts. Divide between the two pans and back about 35 to 45 minutes. Check often.

This was breakfast all by itself with some peanut butter on it!

This along with Becoming Olivia and the second series of the DVD a Garden of Herbs made my weekend very enjoyable. Oh, if one could always find contentment so easy.

I hear from James and Ashley, that the wedding plans may change. The San Diego Temple is going to start putting up scaffolding on the 8th. What a bummer! I wish they would have been told when they arranged their date with the temple.

No comments: