Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas week

Today has been a quiet Christmas, but that isn't how the week was. My brother Bob and his wife Marie were here Monday through Wednesday for the first Christmas together for several years. It was very enjoyable. We had ham instead of turkey by my brother's choice, scalloped potatoes and all the trimmings.

Bob had given Marie a Kindle for Christmas, plus a $50 gift certificate and we installed it and ordered her first book. In the first sitting she was well into the book and already in love with her new Kindle. We have the same taste in books so often she will take a book I have home with her, now I won't be able to do that when I visit them.

It is rather strange not to have any of our children here for Christmas but with their work schedule and school, they find that difficult to do. Plus, Michelle has her family over for Christmas Eve and that is a tradition in their family. I do believe if Ardmore was a traveler we would be there too, but he isn't. Brian and James and Ashley went to friend's for Christmas.

This is James and Ashley's last Christmas in the United States for at least a couple of years, I think. By this time next Saturday, they will  be in Hong Kong and then on to Ashley's parent's in Taiwan for several days. James will then leave Ashley there and head to Australia for six months of train for Cathay Pacific Air Lines. Perhaps the day will come when I will climb on a plane and head to Australia for a vacation or perhaps China. That would be an adventure!

This year I am most thankful for the internet and Skype. It makes it possible to talk face to face with our children and to attend a Christmas Eve celebration even though we are 2,000 miles away.

No comments: