Monday, January 2, 2012

Saying good bye to a great exhibit

Today was the last day to see the Smithsonian New Harmonies: Celebrating American Roots Music exhibit at the museum. We decided to serve cookies, apple cider and coffee and had a steady stream all day until around 5:30. I feel nostalgic about seeing this exhibit leave knowing it is the last Smithsonian that I will have been in charge of getting for the historical society. It was one that I had wanted us to have when I first heard about it four years ago. Music haunts each of our days. It is the thing that takes to and from work on our radio, it is what we often listen to when we can't sleep at night, it hails the opening of the Christmas season and rings in the New Year. It accompanies when we are at work, in the plant, on the tractor, or in the truck like I was when I worked for USX at Mintac.

One of the things that never fails to impress me is how many types of music have developed in the United States. Country, Rock & Roll, Blues and Jazz, Gospel, and freedom songs by such people as Peter, Paul and Mary and Bob Dylan. Many of these songs became a part of my life when they were developed and therefore are a part of who I am.
I thought it would be enjoyable to share some of the high spots of the programs and exhibit.




More later!

It is time to say good bye to this wonderful exhibit and thank the many people who helped us with the wonderful programs that made the exhibit such a bell ringer for the historical society. Our visitor count for the month of December has out done any count I can remember -1,832 visitors and over 300 more who attended our Christmas Harmonies program at the Roseau Community School Theatre.

No comments: