Monday, August 9, 2010

Great-Grandchildren

With the temperature over 85 on Sunday, the oven did not sound like a good idea but a tuna salad did. We enjoy tuna salad and I enjoyed changing the recipe. With the salad, cucumbers in Greek vinaigrette, and a cantaloupe-blueberry salad we were more than satisfied before our customary Sunday siesta.

This tuna salad was different than any I had ever made and turned out to be very tasty. So here is the recipe.

Cook 1 cup of small shell macaroni, drain and rinse with cold water, add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
Dice 1/3 cup red pepper and 1/3 cup onion, and two stalks celery.
Place these and the macaroni in a bowl and add one can peas, and two cans of drained tuna.
Season with an additional 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon Dean Jacob's Grinder Fresh Spicy Garlic and McCormick's Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper seasoning.
Toss together.
Mix the following dressings, 1/8 cup of Ranch dressing, 1/8 cup of mayo, and 1/8 cup of fat free sour cream, and added to tuna salad, mixing well. Serve on a lettuce leaf.

This past weekend Michelle had these two cuties, her grandchildren and our great-grandchildren.

It is such fun to see how they have grown. Kera Dawn is now four and a half months old and already takes after her other grandmother, as she has strawberry blond hair. Can I say she is a adorable? Damen just sprouts up and then out, then sprouts up and then out again. This is a set I gave him last summer from the Children's Store. I head there on my trips to LA and love the sales.Humm, what kind of cute girl's clothes will they have...

I read about the link between a 20% increase in skin cancer caused by an ingredient in most sunscreens, retinyl palmitate. In studies on rats, sunscreens with this ingredient have caused tumors and lesions. One will have to become very aware of what the ingredients are on sunscreens from now on. It reminded me of my great-nephew. About 4 or 5 years ago he had a skin cancer removed from his back. Could there be a link between the sunscreen used on him and the same that was used on the rats?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We started swathing wheat on Saturday with the intent of letting it lay for a couple of days. Yesterday it was hot, 95 above! I did the swathing while hubby did the combining. I can tell the wheat is not running as well as last year. What can one say, when you aren't able to spray at the right time or put on a fungucide. Today we did the same job's and I also unloaded the grain. The heat and humidity make it hard to be outside unloading a truck. You get chaff all over you and you itch for the whole day!

Then this evening I had a board of directors meeting. Funny thing was that it started raining just before I was going to head to town for the meeting and we had get the combine and trucks out of the rain.I will be very happy to have this wheat field done.

Three things about Tuesday:
We didn't have a break down.
It got a little cooler after the rain.
Breanne and I had a very enjoyable visit this afternoon.

No comments: