Monday, July 16, 2012

50th Class Reunion and Retirement - June 30

I will finally complete this and place it on the blog! On Saturday, June 30th I attended my 50th class reunion. Now I don't know about you, but whenever I had heard someone was attending their 50th class reunion, my first thought was, "Oh my, they are getting up there!" I guess that must mean I am getting up there now too!

Aurora-Hoyt Lakes Class of 1962




I spent the past week at my brother's in Hoyt Lakes, which gave me an opportunity to spend some time with my brother and wife and a couple of friends. The reunion was very enjoyable. We had our gathering at The Lodge at Giant's Ridge. It is a choice place to stay, if you have family and plan for a midweek ski trip, they have 2 bedroom villas near the lake for $179 a night. When I was much younger, in my twentieths and thirties, I would take the kids skiing at the Ridge. The last time any of our children skied there would have been when I took Garrett, Eric, Terry and James a couple of times. The Lodge has great banquet and conference centers. Our group of around eighty had an ideal room, although the air conditioning could have been turned on a little more. The food was an excellent buffet.
We did a Class Up-date which was very enlightening. Great to discover what everyone has been doing and is now doing. I am looking forward to our 55th or 60th; will I still be around? I sure hope so and in good health.

I enjoy going to HL as we raised our children there and it brings back many memories. Times spent at the beach all summer until the kids were old enough to go on their own. Bicycle rides out to Fisherman's Point or the Partridge River, golfing at the golf course. I had my opportunity to see all of these places when in HL this past week. My brother took me on a tour of each of these areas, plus the new housing development on White Water Reservoir, and along the Colby Lake housing development and new assisted living housing.
I spent a couple of days visiting with friends. Toots and I spend one whole day together and our friend Barb joined us in the afternoon and then on Monday we went to Virginia to do some shopping and out for lunch. 

I hadn't been back for many years, my brother thought it was about five or six. I guess  visiting on the phone with Toots and my brother appears to make it seem like less time has past.Then my brother and wife come up once or twice a year.

It is interesting to hear how my friends and I are different and alike. We are all readers, but I am the only quilter. They watch soap operas still, I have watched soap operas since I was in my early twenties. Other than that, we picked up right where we left off, friends forever, with a thousand things to say to each other. Great fun!

No comments: